Deltoid Ligament Repair
Table of Contents
- An incision was made over the medial gutter of the ankle.
- Dissection was carried down to find the anterior fibers of the deltoid ligament.
- Careful dissection was performed and great care was taken to protect the saphenous nerve and vein.
- It was clear from the arthroscopy that had been done previously that the anterior fibers of the deltoid had been avulsed off the anterior portion of the medial malleolus.
- This area was further cleaned of fibrous tissue.
3. Examine for Instability
- The ankle was put through a range of motion to test for stability and demonstrate laxity of the incompetent ligament.
4. Rasp and Irrigate
- A rasp was used to prepare the bone prior to drilling and the resulting debris was irrigated out of the wound.
5. Repair Ligament
- Drill holes were made and a suture anchor was placed.
- The sutures were then passed through the proximal portion of the anterior fibers of the deltoid ligament, and these were tied down to their origin.
6. Test Repair
- The ankle was put through a range of motion to test for stability and ensure that the repair remained intact under stress.
- After this had been done, the wound was thoroughly irrigated and closed in a layered fashion.